Do you have insomnia?
Insomnia, one of the most prevalent sleep disorders, affects between 30-50 percent of the population at some point during their lives. Ten percent of those people suffers from chronic insomnia. Serious health concerns have been linked to a lack of sleep, and insomnia can impact long-term physical and emotional health.
What is insomnia?
When someone has insomnia, it means they are unable to fall asleep, stay asleep, or both. People who wake up on a consistent basis a few hours early each day and can’t get back to sleep are also considered to have insomnia. People of all ages from children to seniors suffer from insomnia, although research shows 40 to 60 percent of those are over 60 years old. More women than men suffer from insomnia.
Types of insomnia
The medical community has categorized insomnia into three separate types, depending on the duration:
- transient insomnia lasts less than a week
- short-term insomnia is one to three weeks in duration
- chronic insomnia persists for a month or longer
Impact of insomnia
People with chronic insomnia are at higher risk of serious health problems including heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, diabetes and depression. They also have a higher tendency to become substance abusers. Fatigue is responsible for many thousands of traffic accidents each year.
9 Tips to help you get over insomnia
- Wake up at the same time each day
- Eliminate alcohol and stimulants like nicotine and caffeine
- Limit naps
- Exercise regularly — but not right before bed
- Avoid watching TV, listening to the radio or doing work in the bedroom
- Stop eating or drinking right before bedtime
- Make your sleeping environment comfortable
- Meditate before going to sleep
- Write down all your problems and issues before bedtime so you can address them tomorrow
Although Sleep Boutique doesn’t claim to be able to cure insomnia, we do offer mattresses that are built to suit you, which can make it easier to sleep better.
Check out our website for more information on Sleep Boutique’s built-to-order sleep solutions.